Friday, December 21, 2007

Thoughts from Some Students

Following is a poem written by the Zinn Advisory as we practiced using our personal voice. Please feel free to comment, but try to avoid criticism as the students were brave enough to say what they really felt and we've talked about the fact that poetry is rarely "wrong."

Some Things I Wish My Teachers Knew …
By the Zinn Advisory, Fall 2007


I don’t always understand.
Not all students think alike.
Instead of telling me what I know, I’d like you to show me sometimes.
It hurts me when you don’t teach me all the material.
Your class is not the only class I’m taking.
It is important to stay on task, or on the topic.
I try my hardest.
I am exhausted.
I realize that you work hard, too.

I have more than one priority.
Grades might determine my future.
It’s annoying when you set a double standard – we’re not allowed to chat, but then you do it.
You are the shapers of young minds.
I have to hold back my criticism out of respect for you.
Sometimes I just want to be left alone.

Words cannot explain how you have changed my life.

1 comment:

Aimee Horowitz said...

I love the Zinns! As always, I appreciate thoughtfulness and your honesty. I also want you to know that you shape our lives and teach us everyday.

Many of the lines in your poem like "It’s annoying when you set a double standard – we’re not allowed to chat, but then you do it" and "I don’t always understand. Not all students think alike." really speaks to me and reminds me of some books your teachers have read together including The Students are Watching and Fires in the Bathroom. I hope that you and all of our students know that we value your voice and thank you for expressing your thoughts with such candor, creativity and sincerity. GO ZINNS!