Profile of CSI High School for International Studies School Graduate
The goal of CSI High School for International Studies is to graduate students who posses the knowledge, skills and habits of mind necessary to work and live in the 21st century global environment.
CSIHSIS graduates are Academically Prepared. Upon leaving school, each CSIHSIS student:
- Is intellectually curious, has a desire for life-long learning, thinks critically and effectively organizes his or her own efforts to learn.
- Has earned a high school diploma with course credits required for entry into any institution of higher learning.
- Is prepared to successfully engage in college-level coursework and complete a college degree or other post-secondary certification.
CSIHSIS graduates are Proficient Thinkers and Problem Solvers. They:
- Demonstrate a capacity for mathematical analysis, scientific processing, and logical reasoning.
- Hold themselves accountable for moral reasoning and ethical decision-making
- Transfer their learning and problem-solving skills across domains, and articulate the interconnectedness of their learning.
- Understand and use the arts and literature as lenses through which to view society and culture, as well as to express ideas and emotions.
- Understand and engage complex problems, collect, analyze and synthesize information from a range of sources, tolerate ambiguity and uncertainty, and produce potentially viable solutions.
CSIHSIS graduates are Culturally Aware. They:
- Know world geography, including the locations of major world regions and cultures, as well as human and environmental interaction, and how geography influences cultural development.
- Understand the contributions of different world cultures to the ways of life in the United States.
- Have in-depth knowledge and understanding of at least one culture very different from their own and recognize the role that language plays in shaping culture.
- Understand the historical development and contemporary beliefs, values, and characteristics of major world cultures.
CSIHSIS graduates are Aware of World Events and Global Dynamics. They:
- Understand the multiple perspectives of current world events, international issues, and global debates.
- Integrate a thorough knowledge of their own culture and country to become a fully enfranchised and participatory global citizen.
- Understand global dynamics – how world economic, political, technological, environmental and social systems work and are interdependent across nations and regions.
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge and understanding of at least one pressing international issue or problem.
CSIHSIS graduates are Literate for the 21st Century. They:
- Demonstrate mastery of the skills essential to communication and learning (reading, writing, analyzing, listening, and speaking) both in English and one or more languages other than English.
- Develop and present information in an articulate, persuasive, and appropriate manner – orally, visually, in writing, and through digital communication tools.
- Critically evaluate the presentation of information through various formats and technologies (media literacy).
CSIHSIS graduates are Collaborative Team Members. They:
- Understand how individuals work together in a team and work as collaborative team members to achieve a goal and to learn from people from other cultures.
- Are aware of and able to reflect upon their role and contributions as a member of a team and demonstrate an understanding of the value of doing so.
- Appreciate and are respectful of the diversity of contributions, learning styles, and strengths of individual team members.
- Welcome of differences in interpretation and judgment, are receptive to other’s views, and revise and expand their own views.
CSIHSIS graduates are Effective Users of Technology. They:
- Evaluate sources of information for bias, validity, and scholarly integrity
- Proficiently use essential computer and communications technologies and demonstrate an understanding of the appropriate applications thereof.
- Proficiently use a multitude of technological tools for communication, presentation and data analysis.
- Use technologies to communicate and work across national and regional boundaries.
CSIHSIS graduates are Socially Prepared and Culturally Sensitive. They:
- Comfortably culture jump by choosing appropriate language, behaviors, and strategies of interaction.
- Demonstrate respect in their communication, decision-making, and actions.
- Actively listen to and carefully consider the perspectives and opinions of others.
- Demonstrate ethical decision-making skills, self-control, and the ability to make responsible choices that contribute to continuous self development. **
- Have emotional intelligence including self-knowledge and the ability to manage emotions. **
- Make healthy lifestyle decisions including personal wellness, fitness, and relationships; they will pursue physical, mental, and emotional health.
- Resolve conflicts peacefully and fairly.
* Adapted from Houston School for a New Society Graduate Profile
** from Smart & Good High Schools, Lickona and Davidson, 2005, pg 23